When I was growing up trifle was THE party pudding of choice. Any party worth it’s party hat had one, sometimes two.
So how did old-fashioned Ulster women make a trifle? Not the English way.
Firstly, a beautiful see-through dish. There’s no point having a trifle if you can’t see it.
To the bottom add a layer of lady fingers. If you’re feeling so inclined you can dribble some booze or liqueur over them. But don’t let them get soggy. No one wants a soggy lady’s finger, now do they?
Next layer, jelly.
British jelly, so that’s jell-o, right? Anyway, the one that’s set, not jam. That’s important. Choose your flavour, any flavour, it’s up to you. Leave it just as a fruit jelly or add fruit. If you want to be really old-school and not posh. Tinned fruit would have been typical, make your jelly with slightly less boiling water if you’re doing this or the syrup/fruit juice from the tin will make it too thin and it won’t set.
When the jelly has cooled put your dish in the fridge to chill. That’s layer two.
Once set leave it where it is if you like until time to serve, add some stiffly whipped cream or some alternative cream-alike. We had Dream Topping back in the ’70s for your totally non-posh needs.
Sprinkle top with hundreds and thousands (the little coloured sugar sprinkles) or chocolate sprinkles. Add some fruit if you like. My mother particularly enjoyed orange jelly with mandarin segments on top. I prefer raspberries.
Proper trifle may not have jelly. I’m not sure and it definitely has custard. But I’m not very proper. Don’t tell my mother. She is very proper. NI proper.
It’s a thing.
22 Notes/ Hide
- iseedeadpixels23 likes this
- barefootfussy likes this
- meklarian likes this
- isay likes this
- isay said:Custard before cream in our house.
- donthenerd likes this
- making-stuff likes this
- scholvin likes this
- janetisserlis likes this
- crustyjuggler72 likes this
- sblaufuss likes this
- nicky36 likes this
- nolagrrlnyc likes this
- naimhe likes this
- naimhe said:Thank you! So if I put sliced pound cake then poached pears then whipped cream and some shredded chocolate or some such on top, that’d sorta be a trifle? I’m really over thinking this for bikers, but what the hell. Cary and I will eat it.
- dialogueinmyhead likes this
- belleischrome likes this
- awordoraline likes this
- toolateadopter likes this
- toolateadopter said:It must be red jelly. RED JELLY. Also, tinned peaches. And custard. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.
- miscmiss likes this
- redlacegypsy likes this
- penbleth posted this